Attack of the Killer Sock-Eaters

Why is there often only one sock? WHY? 

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Is nothing sacred???

I finally came back to my blog, after months and months of abandonment, to find that one of my posts had a comment. I was so excited to think that someone had thought enough of my ramblings to post a comment, so imagine my disappointment to find that some IDIOT had actually spammed my blog!!! Disappointment quickly gave way to a serious case of pissed-offedness when I looked over the spam: a page and a half of fake-stock related crap. I don't know about everyone else, but some things should be above such blatant abuse...although, I suppose I should be thankful that it wasn't an advertisement offering to make my *ahem* "man part" bigger. And, on the subject of spam, WHY IN THE HELL WON'T THEY LEAVE ME ALONE???? I am not a man. I am not interested in making ANYTHING bigger. I don't want to see barely legals in various contorted/improbable positions. I don't want a free Ipod. I don't want inside stock trading tips. And, I especially don't want to be told that I should lose weight. What I want is to get and read e-mails from people I actually care about, without having to deal with all of the junk. I know that there are spam-blockers, and bulk mailboxes available, and I use them both, but they don't catch everything, and the spammers are getting more clever about getting their junk through. My question is this: do these people actually make enough money off the replies to justify the thousands of people they annoy/harass with spam? My second question is: who is stupid enough to reply to spam? Do they believe the too-good-to-be-true promises of the spammers? And, really, do people honestly believe that these siren songs come without a price? Even if we don't pay the price in cash, we pay with our privacy. We pay in that moment of cringing when we open our inbox, and we pay with our insecurities as we wonder even as we delete the offer, "Can I really lose 20 pounds in a week?"

1 Comments:

  • At 10:38 PM, Blogger Anthony Smitha said…

    Yes, you can lose 20 pounds in one week. (Well, I can.) It's through a process called liposuction, aka, body-fat-vacuum.

    You, my dear, do not have enough body fat on you to lose more than a couple ounces through this process. I imaghine that it comes with being a warrior mother.

    Oh, and I love the drawing up on top. It's quite beautiful in its simplicity.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home